These veggie balls are our family’s latest snack obsession. They’re easy to whip up and go perfectly with your favorite dipping sauce (we love BBQ Ranch by Primal Kitchen)!
The garbanzo beans give them a falafel type texture and similar taste, but also has added flavor from all the other hidden vegetables.
We’ve eaten these veggie balls in several different ways: in a wrap (like greek style), on a salad, and also just dipped in sauce. Whatever floats your boat, these veggie balls are sure to please your taste buds!
You’ll see in the recipe below, you can pick and choose some of the ingredients…like your greens preference (kale, chard, or spinach), oil or no oil, and spices. I believe cooking should be flexible, so if there’s an ingredient that isn’t quite your flavor – just substitute it out for something you do enjoy or leave out completely.
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup organic bell pepper (red or orange), chopped
- 1/2 organic red onion, chopped
- 2 cups kale, spinach or swiss chard, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, or 1/2 cup pea microgreens
- 1/2 cup organic oats
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp salt
- black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Heat a nonstick pan to medium heat on the stove with 1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil (or whatever oil you like). If you’re avoiding oils, then just use 1/4 cup of water or any veggie or chicken stock. Then, add in your bell pepper, kale, and onion. Sautée for 8-10 minutes.
- Add your garbanzo beans, sautéed veggies, peas, and spices into your food processor and process until well mixed. Then, add in your oats and process again. Your mixture should be slightly sticky but also formable. If it’s still too wet, then add more oats.
- Next, take about a golfball size amount of mixture and roll into balls. Repeat until all the mix is gone.
- Place on a nonstick baking sheet or parchment paper and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Let them cool for 10 minutes.